Please click here for further information on our Read Write Inc. Programme
At Great Malvern Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Our approach is systematic, consistent and rigorous in order that all children become readers as quickly as possible.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
We use the same phonics programme across the school providing continuity and a vehicle for guaranteed progression.
Pupils are taught in ability groups in Year 1 and Year 2 thus enabling them to be taught according to their reading level not their age. Teaching is very precise and tailored to the needs of each child irrespective of year group.
Our Read Write Inc. Leader is Mrs Dudman. If you have any queries or would like to discuss our phonics programme further, please do not hesitate to ask.
For further information please click on the link below: