All children will have the chance to live and breathe a range of texts from different cultures, genres and access exiting grammatical and writing sessions related to these.
Children will foster a love of all things English, learning which authors they love and enjoy reading for pleasure. Children will start to recognise the pieces of writing they thrive in producing, finding a style that works for them
Children will have the knowledge and understanding to go into the next stage of life with the ability to accurately read, comprehend any text in which they are face and also the ability to write successfully.
Teachers will plan a curriculum that will focus on a range of quality texts to inspire and motivate children. Throughout all lessons at Great Malvern children will learn to be resilient when faced with new vocabulary, have high expectations of their own work and be able to apply their skills to a range of reading and writing opportunities. They will develop their own opinions and writing styles which they can take with them on their future learning journeys.
- All children will have access to a range of quality texts to enjoy and cherish.
- Objectives (balance objectives which have been chosen to enhance the NC framework) are carefully sequenced to build on prior knowledge and challenge to move forwards. These are mapped onto curriculum maps.
- Comprehension is based around the One Education Reading Gems to enhance understanding of reading skills and ensure children have a depth of vocabulary understanding.
- Comprehension is built into other areas of the curriculum through high quality texts in topic, science and other foundation subjects.
- Whole class reading sessions are timetabled in daily for year groups 2 - 6. Phonics sessions are daily for EYFS and Year 1.
- Children are challenged through high quality texts, texts that are depth driven which teaches them new vocabulary and how to comprehend a quality text.
- Encouraging the children to read at home is a priority for all staff. We work with parents to ensure that reading at home is a priority for every child.
- All children have access to a range of quality texts from the class book corners and the reading area to ensure they have books to share with their families at home.
- Sequences of learning allow for contextualised grammar sessions, making this learning more purposeful for the children.
- Writing links with Oracy and the use of correct grammar and structure are consistently promoted by staff.
- Where possible, writing links with high quality texts that inspire and motivate the children to write.
- Clear modelling happens by the teacher before writing which enables the children to become thoughtful, reflective writers. Phonics is at the heart of modelling writing in KS1.
- Spelling is referenced by all teachers when writing – especially focusing on the spelling rules and key words for that year group.
- Lessons are consistently taught between the two classes to ensure the children are receiving the same learning experiences.