Modern Foreign Languages
Children will have the knowledge and understanding to become citizens of the world, appreciating the important role being multilingual plays in communicating with other people.
Children will develop a love and passion for languages and an appreciation of different cultures that will last a lifetime.
Children will ask questions to understand the importance of learning a new language; seek to discover new languages of choice; and find ways to improve their own and others’ spoken and written language skills.
Here at Great Malvern we have developed a French language curriculum that offers high quality language input delivered through engaging, weekly language lessons and half termly buzz days in order to capitalise on the existing language skills held by our community.
- Key stage 2 children will have access to at least thirty minutes of language lessons per fortnight.
- Termly French Buzz afternoons will occur, giving children the opportunity to express their acquired language skills and to develop an appreciation of the culture.
- The curriculum overview is progressive and varied.
- Staff will be supported to develop their pedagogy and feel confident in lesson delivery.
- Teachers, with the support of the MFL Leader, will assess children throughout the year, with groups in need of additional support identified and targeted.
- We strive to embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply their French learning in a variety of contexts and lay the foundations for future language learning.