Hello again.... and welcome back to what should be another exciting and inspiring term for your child. Where does the time go?
This term we will be learning all about dinosaurs, from the ferocious Tyrannosaurus Rex to the enormous Diplodocus. While dinosaurs came a long time before us humans, fossils and modern technology have helped us piece together what dinosaurs may have looked like and even how they might have behaved.The word dinosaur comes from the Greek language and means ‘terrible lizard’. The word was coined by English paleontologist Richard Owen in 1842 and was meant to refer to the dinosaurs impressive size rather than their scary appearance.
A palaeontologist at work. How exciting!
Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for over 160 million years and it is believed that dinosaurs lived on Earth until around 65 million years ago when a mass extinction occurred.
More Fun Facts...
Did you know?
1. The largest dinosaur that we know of was the Argentinosaurus Huinculensis. A monster that could reach 130 in length. Imagine that coming towards you...no thanks!
2. The oldest dinosaur known to us is the Eoraptor. The Eoraptor was a carnivore (meat eater) and roamed our planet around 230 million years ago
3. There are many misconceptions we have about dinosaurs. One of them is that man lived with dinosaurs. It is not true. The dinosaurs became extinct long before the first human appeared on Earth. While dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago, our ancestors have been around for about six million years. The modern form of humans only evolved about 200,000 years ago and civilization as we know it is only about 6,000 years old.
4. Another myth is that all dinosaurs were huge sizes. In fact they were all sizes. While Dreadnoughtus Schrani discovered in Patagonia in Argentina weighed 59 tonnes and were 26 metres long, the Compsognathus dinosaurs were small, weighing just 3 kilograms.
After Half Term
After half term our topic will continue but we will begin to look at animals that are around today and then finally draw our topic to a close by researching mini beasts. You might say that this term your child will be a scientist discovering all there is to know about 'BIG BEASTS and MINI BEASTS'
If you are looking to introduce your child to new authors, then take the opportunity to head to our lovely local library, http://twitter.com/MalvernLib.
Don't forget to check out our School Council broadcasts...
If you would like to watch our GMPS broadcasts, then please go to our Homepage and click News and then School Council.
For your information....
KS1 Sports Day will be Tuesday 4th July at 9:30 am. It will take place on the field and our fantastic PTFA will be providing refreshments as usual. More information will follow. Watch this space.....
We still continue to link with our sister school in Tanzania and look forward to their visit in June. The new kitchen is now finished much to the delight of our Tanzanian friends. Thanks to all the support you as parents and the staff at
Great Malvern Primary have shown.
Your child will do PE at least twice a week and sometimes more. Children will need a full PE kit that should remain in school. Please remember to name everything.
1D will have PE on Monday and Wednesday.
1W will have PE on Monday and Friday
The children have access to the exciting Forest school area throughout the whole of the year. They are given opportunities to use a variety of equipment to build dens, climb trees, pond dip, dig for minibeasts and use rope and pieces of wood to make their own swings.
*Please can you make sure that your child has warm clothing and wellies, especially through the winter months.*
* We ask that you hear your child read at least 3 times a week and record this in their reading record.
* Your child must have their PE Kit in school at all times.
(This must comprise of green shorts/jogging bottoms, a white T-shirt, pair of socks, a pair of trainers for outdoor PE)
* Your child must have a named water bottle in school every day.
* Please make sure your child brings their Book bag to school every day.
Please feel free to pop in and talk to us about any worries or concerns before or after school.
The Year 1 Team.
Mrs Winfield, Mrs Dudman, Mrs Jones,
Mrs Barnes and Mrs Philpotts
Please take the time to look through the photographs of the children learning in their school environment.
Your child has recently received a 'Global password' Every child in education in Worcestershire has one so that they can access the 'Worcestershire Learning Gateway'. This gateway allows your child to have free access to many programmes including; Education City, jit, J2E, I Am Learning and 2Simple software. Please take advantage of these great resources with your child as they are great learning resources to be enjoyed at school and home.
For more information please contact Mrs Perry.
Year 1 gallery.
There will be many photo's showing what we have been doing recently in school. Check out the fun learning we have been doing!